Saturday, March 2, 2013

Training for Change

Last Saturday at this time I was sitting in a training facility at Caron. My nerves were like live wires dispite the many oils I was applying and a headache was brewing. Today, just one week later, I am looking over the notes I wrote during the 5 days of class and it is absolutely overwhelming.

  We started with a group of 11. There was a mixture of wives, husbands, sisters, brothers, and parents of patients in attendance. Our small group would quickly bond in the realization that our loved ones had been taken over by a vicious disease called addiction. The deafening announcement that their brains could take up to twelve years to return to their normal functionality was astounding. I didn't realize until that moment just how much of an impact this had on Vince and how long his road to recovery would be. I sincerely thought if he spent detox in rehab and got the drugs out of his system, he would be himself again and we would have a new life in 31 days.  

Soooooooo wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the end many of the techniques, coping skills, communication skills and lessons were very similar to a Focus class I had taken with Vince almost 18 years ago.  The refresher was phenomenal and with a "little" maturity on board now I am ready to make changes. 

Vince will be focusing on changes for himself and I will be working on changes for me.  I have a lot I need to work on, sorry if that is shocking ;)
Together we can work on meaningful changes for our family. 

I'm getting nervous about him coming home soon.  Just 12 more days!

 

No comments: