Tuesday, March 5, 2013

PAWS and Alanon

As stated before I thought once rehab was complete the "hardest" part would be over because the brain would be retrained and there would be no drugs in the system.

In the addiction portion we learned that it takes up to two years for the brain to be reprogrammed.  In 4-6 weeks the addict can be stabilized but during this "2" yr re-programming there are numerous post acute withdraw symptoms that can occur.   They generally peak during first 3-6 months.   These include:  inability to think clearly, memory problems, emotional over-reaction or numbness, sleep issues, coordination struggled, inability to handle stress.

The addict can and will learn coping skills for how to deal with these symptoms.  The loved one should also establish coping skills.

Alanon or Narcanon are highly recommended because you will find people going through identical or similar situations.

My favorite Alanon phrase is the three C's:

I didn't cause this
I can't control it
I can't cure it

I have to realize that it IS a disease and I can only control what I am able to.  WHAT can I control?
I am only able to control my self.

No comments: